Thursday 25 March 2010

MG midget Sprint and hillclimb car - winter rebuild

On a slightly less work related note, my own Midget is having a bit of a winter re-work (ok, its spring now!) The car was previously running a fairly well modded 1115cc engine (bored 1098) with formula junior valves, 40DCOE etc, putting out a healthy 86bhp. However, my class allows me to go up to 1400CC, so a new engine is currently under construction.
The 'new' engine is a 1380cc (73.5mm powermax pistons), and amongst other bits has got: wedged crank, lightened rods, super light flywheel, rimflow valves and lots of other nice bits. Although id be happy with anything over 90Bhp, it would be nice to break the 100 mark, which should be possible with the parts im using. I'll find out in april, as its booked in on the rolling road.
The car when i built it, started out as a mildy modified road car, but the more I've sprinted it, the more I've changed it.
Along with the 'new' engine Ive also built up a straight cut close ratio gearbox ready to fit, plus I'll be fitting a lower final drive.
Unfortunately, I can no longer use the excuse of having a smaller capacity engine than anyone else (!)